Author Topic: Leader Calculator  (Read 2690 times)

Offline wiwfmr

• Global Moderator
  • Tim Hiltz
Leader Calculator
« on: December 09, 2009, 08:01:07 PM »
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?

Offline wiwfmr

• Global Moderator
  • Tim Hiltz
Re: Leader Calculator
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 08:21:41 PM »
No, it doesn't have to be that complicated.  But it gives you some idea why everyone uses a different leader ratio.  I keep it simple. 

For leaders 9 to 14'
7,8, and 9 wt lines     Maxima in 25,20,15,12,10,8 and tippit
4,5, and 6 wt lines     Maxima in 20,15,12,10,8,6 and tippit
3 wt lines.             Maxima in 15,12,10,8,6,4 and tippit

short leaders (less than 6')   Maxima in 20,15,10, and tippit

As far as ratio, I make the sections longer from butt to tip. 

Offline The Leader Gnome

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:25:20 PM »
That leader calc does seem to be over the top..... I dont use it - put it that way
"Some people are so dry that you might soak them in a joke for a month and it would not get through their skins." 
 Henry Ward Beecher

Offline The Leader Gnome

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »
Blood knots. A well tied blood knot does not fail - your tippet will break off first and if your breaking tippit your pulling too hard..... Its the hook knot that is probably the most likely to fail actually....
"Some people are so dry that you might soak them in a joke for a month and it would not get through their skins." 
 Henry Ward Beecher

Offline The Leader Gnome

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 08:55:52 PM »
Knotless tapers are

1 - A lot more expencive that tieing your own knotted leaders
2 - A lot harder to coustomize
3 - Do not turn over a fly as well as a properly built knotted leader
4 - Not nearly as good as tying knotted leaders for chacing away snow and ice in the middle of winter...
 Henry Ward Beecher

Offline wiwfmr

• Global Moderator
  • Tim Hiltz
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:58:29 PM »
A bit of both.  Good tapered leaders are expensive and I like leaders longer than nine feet so I tie my own.  Once you get used to tying blood knots it takes no time at all to tie a leader.

Offline The Leader Gnome

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
as a bit of a newbie, i am going to try both, and see what I prefer, I am going to go with the advice on adding tippet to a purchased tapered leader will let you know next year stay tuned

Thats the simplest way..... But we will get you yet!
 Henry Ward Beecher

Offline exstreamfisherman

• I've made it to the big times...
    • Exstreamfisherman
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 01:41:58 PM »
I tie my own and still working on it.. what do most of you use for Tippet?

Offline KoRP

• Administrator
  • Keep your fly in the water
    • Nova Scotia Fly Guy
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 03:03:21 PM »
I know a couple guys who use the tapered knotless leaders, but I am not a fan.
I use a maxima leader most times, 90%, and tie them by hand, riverside, as I need them. I start usually with 12 or 15lb test on a salmon set up, and taper to 8 or sometimes 6lb depending on water level. Low water, I use an extra long leader approximately 18' with extra long tippet, 4 or 6lb.
Higher more decent water, I use about a 12-14' leader with 8 or 10lb tippet. Usually 8 lb is as big as I go, but 10lb tippet is ok on high water for strength in the big flow.
I use about the same length pieces for the butt section say 3' of 12lb butt, 3' of 10lb, then 3' of 8, then a tippet of aproximately 6' of 6lb. When it starts to get short, I just add more, for the first while as long as the rest of the leader is knot free, I will add right on the 6lb.
It doesn't have to be a formula so strict, and the main thing is to be able to craft up a strong, decent casting leader, that is unobtrusive to the fish you are after, in under 5 minutes, riverside. It'll turn over just fine if you can cast at all, and adjust the lengths a bit to get it right. The other varibles will cause more grief than your leader, fly size, and wind, as well as position in the water in relation to what's behind you and where you need to put your fly. There is no exact science, because conditions can change rapidly and endlessly, so adaptability is the key. Increase your casting skill, and you will be ahead of the game. One of the absolute best casters I know uses straight 10 lb mono off of a nail knot to his fly line, and he does well catching salmon. As always, everything is relative.....
Whatever you use for a leader, get so you can get one that is strong tied on quickly on the river, and get back to catching fish.
"Fishing is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope"

Offline mikesalmon

• I Love FlyFishing!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 03:31:02 PM »
I tie my own using maxima.

I usually start out with either 20 or 25lb butt section and work my way down to 10, 8, 6, tippet.

3 ft of 25
2 ft of 20
18 in of 15
12 in of 12
12 in of 10
2 ft of 8lb tippet

I have tried to attach a pdf with leader formulas on it. Hope it works.

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work
          "REEL MEN PLAY WITH THEIR FLIES"

Offline roadkill

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 10:15:01 AM »
Ok guys,

I've collected up 6-7 spools of maxima, now I need to tie a few leaders...

I'm just starting to be able to cast, and I'm looking for a little more guidance to the above to get me started for the three rigs I plan to fish this year...

9' 7wt... spring trout and hopefully my salmon trip
9' 4wt... in the canoe and "bigger" South Shore trout water
6' 3wt... my go to rod... tiny to medium sized water...

Tim's got the line weights above that seem to make sense to me, but can anybody offer lengths and overall lengths as a baseline for a still relative noob?

TIA,
rk

Offline Riffling Hitch

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »
There is a poll that will help you with Salmon
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach

Offline gt05254

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 10:28:47 AM »
"This complicates something so simple to the absurd. I doubt I would have ever taken up fly fishing if all that stuff mattered."    This is a quote from Sandy Moret, one of the most well-known Florida guides and instructors extant, in the comments section of that leader calc page.  I have fished with Sandy and I can see why he's so respected down there....and I couldn't agree more with his assesment of that leader calc extravaganza.

I pretty much tie my leaders the way Tim does, using brown Maxima all the way.
Gary

Offline roadkill

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »
What I was thinking was I'd start with rod lengths plus 2' of tippet...

What I can't get my head around is, for instance, if I'm going for a 6' + 2' of 3lb tippet on the 3wt... how long should my 15lb section be? 

Or am I over thinking this?  Should I just grab the spools and start tying and see if it works? ;)

Offline wiwfmr

• Global Moderator
  • Tim Hiltz
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 11:19:40 AM »
What I was thinking was I'd start with rod lengths plus 2' of tippet...

What I can't get my head around is, for instance, if I'm going for a 6' + 2' of 3lb tippet on the 3wt... how long should my 15lb section be? 

Or am I over thinking this?  Should I just grab the spools and start tying and see if it works? ;)

Yeah, do that.  The nice thing about blood knots is if you make your sections too long or you want to shorten up the leader, all you have to do is cut out and retie the knot.