Author Topic: Report Says Wild Atlantic Salmon Worth $255 Million in Eastern Canada  (Read 1376 times)

Offline Howie

• Global Moderator
    • http://thewulffden.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 08:15:05 PM by Howie »
Twitter: @nbsalmon1
FB: Salmo Salar
Blog: http://thewulffden.blogspot.com/
Tying a 'Wulff Den' Buckbug: http://vimeo.com/85115493
Tying another 'Wulff Den' Buckbug: http://vimeo.com/91122312

Offline greyghost

• 'Piscator non solum piscatur'
Re: Report Says Wild Atlantic Salmon Worth $255 Million in Eastern Canada
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2012, 09:17:39 PM »
  The report should have gone one step further , and tallied up the Sports Fishing revenue that has been LOST on rivers affected by the Aquaculture in the Bay of Fundy .
"Fishing is the least objectionable way of doing nothing"
- Gregory Clark

'Still by the firelight and purple moonlight , I hear the restless river's call ...'

Offline Fishinnut

• I'd rather be on the river....
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 09:22:16 PM »
  The report should have gone one step further , and tallied up the Sports Fishing revenue that has been LOST on rivers affected by the Aquaculture in the Bay of Fundy .

Ya too bad it's not there....but still a great report....maybe we can get that in the next one ;)
Always Catch and Release....the future is in YOUR hands!

Offline KoRP

• Administrator
  • Keep your fly in the water
    • Nova Scotia Fly Guy
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2012, 10:58:22 PM »

Agreed Kevin, it's one hell of a pile of salmon waters lost and closed to fishing, a considerable addition to ASF's study.....and should not be ignored!
"Fishing is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope"

Offline howlintrout

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 11:14:22 PM »
One way to look at the loss of fisheries due to river closures, etc, is to look at what is to be potentially gained (or, more appropriately, re-gained) with restored salmon stocks, more rivers open to salmon angling, and therefore more anglers is this example from NB:

2005 - year of DFO's study: about 20,000 licensed salmon anglers in NB.
2010 - year of Gardner-Pinfold study - 22,500 licensed salmon anglers in NB.  (numbers up most likely due to better returns).  This is about a 12% increase from 2005 which would explain, at least in part, the higher economic value in 2010 than in the 2005 DFO study.

1989 - the peak year for salmon licenses sold in NB which was about 36,100. Back then, the entire St. John River watershed and its tributaries were open for salmon angling, as were many, if not all, the Inner Bay of Fundy Rivers.  Just on these numbers alone, getting back to 1989 numbers of anglers in NB would represent a 60% increase over 2010 numbers.  That's a whole lot more angling activity, and therefore economic activity.  Just a simplistic projection of the numbers would take the 2010 GDP of $55M for NB to nearly $90M in today's dollars.  There would be some corresponding increase in the number of Full-Time Equivalent jobs as well.  Of course this oversimplifies the reality, but it does speak to the potential of what we can gain - and I think this is what we need to focus on more than what we have lost - when we are all reaching out to our elected officials.  It certainly enables us to really hammer the point home of the value of restoring salmon runs on the mighty SJR.

I have no doubt in my mind that the more rivers we have open to salmon angling, even if they are strictly limited to C&R only on rivers that are "under restoration", the more people we will have joining the ranks of the local angling and watershed groups and the whole cause gets stronger.   

Offline Grouse

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 12:46:25 AM »
  Great job by the ASF on this, having them on our side is really the only shot we have.   Kevin brought up a great point,  thanks Howlintrout for the follow up information!   Welcome to the site BTW.  

I had no idea that the GDP value of wild salmon would even come close to that of the salmon farming industry -  if you include the potential increase in value for waters closed due to salmon farming practices....
    The problem is, unfortunately I think governments would rather help the farmed salmon GDP go up so the greasy handshakes can continue and they can quietly line their pockets while the rich get richer.  Any increase in the wild salmon GDP is most likely going to come at the expense of the salmon farming industry - at least in their eyes - so they seem to be looking after themselves rather than the people they are supposed to be working for......US.   Not to mention our native species and the environment.   Same with fracking, etc. - spin, spin, spin like hell to win over the masses -promise jobs, hide the truth, decieve, lie if you have to - so they can help rich companies get richer and get their kickbacks.  To hell with the environment, and to hell with John Q public.  

OK, time to stop, go take my blood pressure pill, go to bed.  Tomorrow is another day.   :-\

J.    
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:48:25 AM by Grouse »
I really like salmon.  A lot.  Some people say I have a problem.

Offline Howie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 07:05:21 AM »
Thanks for the great post, howlintrout!

By keeping the perspective of the BOF becoming a 'gain' we turn a lament into leverage which we can't have enough of in this battle for salar!

Jordan, that's the sad reality of it right there - if we looked at it in any other way we'd be the naive fools every politician has wet dreams about...

Offline KoRP

• Administrator
    • Nova Scotia Fly Guy
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 07:26:02 AM »
Well, it sounds to me that the Howlingtrout really has a strategy that would be hard to ignore....even if you were a greasy bastard like J mentioned....ASF and the media attack on salmon farming have given us some hope!
"Fishing is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope"

Offline KoRP

• Administrator
    • Nova Scotia Fly Guy
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 07:32:07 AM »
Where do we go from here? If things don't progress fast, we will have too many farms in the bay, and it will be too late, there needs to be farms leaving our waters, not moving in until the government stalls us to sleep...

Offline kyper

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »
Great thread guys and alot of vaulit info in everyones posts, I wish I could add more but I feel like I dont have much to add because I feel helpless on this kind of stuff. For a guy that feels helpless what are two things i can do to help from home??? I know someone said email them all so is that what a guy like me should be doing ???

Thanks guys
Rene

Offline stillwaters

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »
Sorry in advance for getting off topic regarding the farms, but I just needed to say my piece.

I 100% disagree with the comment about potential gains and more rivers open to salmon angling when it comes to NS.

The number of watersheds that are closed, dead or close to death in Nova Scotia is spread across the province. For every "gain” described elsewhere in NB (as an example) how many watersheds are left to die in NS?

Quite a few if you look at the southern uplands in NS I guess. Let’s have a look at just how big a land mass (or watershed area) we are talking about here. The total watershed area of the southern uplands is 25631.2987 square KM (give or take a few coastal islands of course, the number would be larger with those included) The total land mass of NS is 55491.0000 square KM in total(or close to it). So if my math is correct over 46% of the total landmass (or watershed area if you will) of Nova Scotia is either CLOSED or DEAD(or close to death) to wild Atlantic Salmon. (I did not include the Bay of Fundy watersheds in the southern uplands calculation, if I did the number or "dead" water would increase)

Not so sure that feel good "gain's" math is adding up for me here NS. The % of lost salmon water in NS is fucking scary!

The southern uplands rivers have been let to rot for years, basically the attitude has been fuck them right? Hey I'm from the SS of NS I know the GFY attitude well in regards to salmon.

Great report, should have been done awhile ago to help tackle the issues with fish farms farms but FFS sakes don't talk atlantic salmon gains to me while I'm living in NS. All I see here is loosing ground plain and simple.  

« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:58:21 AM by stillwaters »
Been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding....
Flagpole Sitter, Harvey Danger

Offline Howie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »
Personally, I believe this report is a solid starting point of a new and aggressive approach which will do nothing but help. Hopefully it will spawn many more great discussions like this one and have staying power in people's minds - this is our dog grabbing the bone moment and we can't let go - ever! Everything done from this point on has to hammer on this report .... If DFO can create and maintain policy based on outdated and incomplete data from 2005 then a current, thorough examination of the state of things conducted by a 3rd party who are often relied on by the government themselves should hold major influence. The trick now is to not allow this report to be marginalized by government 'spin doctory'. It's the new gospel, let's go with it!

Regarding salmon farms - when I refer to them it's as a whole, not just the ones clogging NB's south shore. Salmon farms are a global problem and negatively affect anything that swims wherever they are found. They need to go land based or fully contained but even that doesn't solve the larger issue of the 5:1 ratio of fish meal to consumable product this dirty (luxury) industry produces.... Global fish stocks are not going up last I heard  :-\

Sorry for the naive optimism... But someone has to play the part....

Offline howlintrout

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 10:48:03 AM »
No question the situation is dire in those regions of NS and must be unbelievably frustrating for all anglers most affected by those many rivers that remain closed.  And there is no question that real $ must be put toward restoring those rivers that have been particularly affected by acid rain over the years.  My understanding is that the lime-dosing project on the West River Sheet Harbour is showing very encouraging results.  I don't know these areas of NS very well but would increased investment in projects like this on other rivers in that region be at least one of the real steps that could be taken toward potentially turning the situation around?  (It doesn't address the root cause of the problem - i.e. the acid rain - but it may provide tangible opportunities for improving survival of Atlantic salmon in these areas).

Check out the latest article in the Chronicle Herald where Bill Taylor points to the same problem as was pointed out by stillwaters.  ASF will be working hard in all regions to put this message forward.  Investment is needed now.  Without it, there is no chance for gains.

Link to the article/interview: http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/50418-federation-wild-atlantic-salmon-stock-needs-help

Offline Parr none

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 08:30:25 AM »
Have any media covered this study yet? If you notice an article, please post a link here.